Avocado toast is one of these creamy, simple, and quick goodies, be it for breakfast or as a mid-day snack. I normally enjoy avocados for special occasions like Sunday morning breakfasts or brunch. And although avocado on toast or topped with an egg is a treat on its own, I wrote this recipe paying homage to this morning’s classic with even more flavors.
Avocados are also packed with lots of unsaturated fats so as fibers. Together with the other ingredients used in this recipe, this avocado toast makes a quite healthy and nutritious breakfast or snack.
An Avocado Toast of a different kind
The goal was to create a recipe that adds new flavors to the toast but which is still simple to make. Another key factor was to use fresh ingredients that are on the same creamy, savory and oili side like the avocado. Ingredients that are supporting the flavor of the avocado but don’t overpower them. So these are the ingredients to make this delicious and healthy pleasure of a snack.
- Ciabatta Bread
Italian Ciabatta bread works great for this recipe. It is baked with a higher hydration level and thus offers larger air holes than other bread types. This is great for the avocado spread to fill in the gaps. This bread type also has a sweeter taste and caramelizes quite well in the pan together with oil. You can use other bread types like baguettes or others here for sure.
- Cherry Tomatoes
These little tomatoes are one of my favorites! They have a richer and more concentrated flavor and often higher acidity. By roasting the tomatoes, they turn more to the sweet side and give a great balance between sweet and sour.
Garlic goes super well together with avocado but has quite a pushy aroma on its own. By roasting the garlic we get nutty and almost caramel-like flavors out of them. This is also the reason why we can use quite more garlic than we normally would in unroasted condition.
- Red Onions
Slow-roasted and honey-caramelized red onions offer another layer of superb savouriness.
Buffalo Mozzarella gives a milky, a little salty, and fresh texture to the avocado toast and goes well as a contrast to the other warmer ingredients.
For some lemony and woody flavors. You can also leave them or use other herbs like thyme or oregano to your liking.
As in the short video below, these are the steps for this flavor-packed toast.
Images of the preparation steps you’ll find in the printable recipe below.
- Preparing the vegetables
Cut the top of a garlic bulb and place it into a medium casserole. Stab the cherry tomatoes with a knife, this will help to get the juice out of them. Peel and cut the onions into slices and put them into the casserole together but separated from the tomatoes. Put some honey on top of the onions for caramelization. Add some olive oil, salt, and pepper to all vegetables with a little extra olive oil on the garlic bulb. Add rosemary to the tomatoes.
- Roasting the vegetables
Roast the vegetables in the oven at around 150-200° Celsius / 300-390° Fahrenheit for 45 minutes or until soft enough. You can put some of the juice and oil mixture on top of the garlic from time to time or just cover the casserole with some aluminum foil to prevent it from getting too dark.
- Preparing the Avocado
Peel and cut half of a ripe avocado and mash together with a pinch of salt.
- Preparing the garlic
When the vegetables are ready and soft enough, take them out of the oven. Squeeze the garlic into a small bowl and mix together with some butter to a creamy spread.
- Toast the Bread
Slice two large pieces of Ciabatta bread and toast them with some oil in a frying pan or without oil in a toaster.
Layer all ingredients on top of the toasted bread and add an extra pinch of sea salt on top at the end.
Here are some other recipes that go well together with an Avocado Toast
Do you want to stay with the Italian cuisine or try something different? Here are a few recipes worth trying!
- Some extra spice on top of the avocado toast?! Sichuan Chili Oil
- Pasta Puttanesca, an Italian classic pasta dish: Pasta Puttanesca
- Delicious and chocolate-rich cookies: Double Chocolate Cookies
Avocado Toast with slow-roasted garlic, tomatoes, caramelized onions and mozzarella di buffola
- Cut the top of a garlic bulb and place into a medium casserole.1 bulb garlic
- Wash and stab the cherry tomatoes with a knife. (this helps to get the juice out while roasting). Put into the casserole aswell500 grams cherry tomatoes
- Peel and cut onions in medium slices and put into the casserole seperated from the tomatoes.2 pieces red onion
- Add olive oil on top of all vegetables with a little extra on the garlic bulb. Add a pinch of pepper and salt. Add some honey on top of the onions.1 tbsp honey, 2 pinch coarse sea salt, 1 pinch pepper, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 branch rosemary
- Roast the vegetables in the oven at around 150-200° Celsius / 300-290° Fahrenheit for about 45 minutes or until soft and caramelized. Put some aluminum foil on top of the casserole (from beginning or later). This helps to steam the vegetables a little.
- When the vegetables are soft and the onions are caramelized, take them out of the oven. Squeeze the garlic into a small bowl and mix together with some butter into a soft spread.1 tbsp butter
- Toast the bread with some oil in a hot frying pan or without oil in a toaster.2 large slices Ciabatta bread
- Layer all ingredients and add an extra pinch of sea salt at the end.1 ball buffalo mozzarella
- Enjoy your delicious avocado toast!